Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Stuff to Learn and See By #1

Things I've observed, learned, seen or heard in the last little while here in Costa Rica.


  • The women are all bigger, browner, rounder and really like to strut their stuff about town. True Latinas.
  • No problem getting corn tortillas or HOT SAUCE anywhere!
  • Gallo Pinto = Yummy
  • Watching the US Tennis Open on ESPN2 'en vivo' at some café here in San Jose and Zabaleta is falling apart. He threw his racket at the ground and it bounce back at him almost hitting him in the face. I'll never be able to watch or even play(*) tennis again without thinking of DFW's 'Infinite Jest', which I read half of (500 pages, super small print) in Argentina.
  • Pretty sure I'll go back too Argentina but just in and out of Buenos Aires this time. Still have to get to Patagonia, Salta, Jujuy, Tucuman and beyond... like the CHACO!
  • Came to Costa Rica with no sunglasses OR rain jacket and just bought a pair of Ray Bans on the street from a vendor for $5USD... down from $10USD without even trying. Didn't have the heart to bargain him down further.
  • I've got a kick ass travel coordinator based out of San Jose that works for www.ticotoursandadventours.com named Carolina who is helping me with logistics big time. She's got to renew her visa (she's Venezuelan) and we're off to Panama this weekend. She's a morena and sexy... and has made the difference for this trip. Thanks Caro!
  • Love the morochitas... but not too morochita
  • Costa Rica, or at least San Jose is really, really lush and tropical, obvio. I'd forgotten about Central America's natural beauty.
  • Gotta get to Colombia, Venezuela (with the new British passport) and then Brazil!
  • Forgot my camera cable to connect to the local computer to upload these stellar pics of the Caribbean Coast
  • My bank account is in a state of crisis.
  • They have trannies here too
  • It rains a LOT
  • $500 Colones = $1USD
  • My neck where the camera strap hangs got totally sunburned the very first day I walked around in San Jose.
  • The sun is starting to come out as the clouds part. I put my new fake Ray Bans on. Already got a mini-umbrella for $2USD. Now I just need a rain jacket
  • I really miss playing tennis, left my racket in BA with Luis. Maybe Diana in LA will be up for a few sets next month
  • They have cartoneros here too but they just don't have carritos, just big black plastic trash bags.
  • B R E A T H E... and the rest will come

1 comment:

The Social Worker said...

Nice, brother. You're a hero of mine.