Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Moto and Me

There are some things about third world countries like Ecuador that just can't be beat. Part of the thrill is doing dangerous things that you can't do in the states, or at least not on the cheap. I show up in the most touristy town around - Baños, named for these sacred hot water springs that come cascading down the side of another steep volcano - and there's dune buggies, go carts, four wheelers, scooters, and MOTORCYCLES - all for rent, on every block in town. Checking into my hotel, $8.50/night for a private room with private bath and semi-warm water, is a steal and I'm sure I'll stay here an extra night before heading south to Cuenca.

I enquire next door about the motorcycles, "How much for the big one, the Honda XR 600cc ?" $12/hour?! DONE!!

Flying out of town onto the Panamerican Highway, I open up the throttle and let her rip, roaring up the steep highway towards the clouds and then suddenly, slam on the brakes as a line of cars in front of me crawls to a halt. Slowly, we pass a downed motorcyclist being loaded onto a stretcher, people shouting and running all around. Riding a bike comes back to me from memories, many years ago, that Triumph Bonneville 650 that I rode around on in San Diego back in my youth. Turning off the highway, the bike and I head up a road paved with rocks and for the next hour we climb towards the tip of the volcano. Before reaching the top it starts to drizzle slightly and I'm in the clouds once again. I play it safe and decide to head back down, which is even more painstaking than going up.

Back in the hotel, there's a British girl sitting across from me a few years younger than I, talking on Skype, possibly breaking up with her boyfriend, or trying to reconnect with an ex. She sobs and I feel bad for her. He doesn't want her to come home. She needs a hug. She's very sad, head hung low, her face buried in her hands, weeping. Little girls run laughing down the street with not a care in the world. None of it really makes any sense at times and then of course, it's all about perspective. I ponder getting my haircut and shaving off my graying beard. The sky is still gray and it's windy outside. I've grabbed what few shots I could here in town. The baths (which are mostly for locals) and 'town life'. Time to move on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay!! I lived in Banos for 1 month taking spanish lessons and hiking the volcano every day!! gnarly mtn bike riding too!! - wheelz