Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Who You Callin' An Expat?

Just even the sound of that word - Expat, gives me the willies; always has, always will.

“That’s not me nor will it ever be. That term is dated. I’m a traveler, an adventurer, a citizen of this planet… a ‘photographer without borders.’”

Or so I thought. Now I’ve lived here in Buenos Aires for nine or so months with a couple of trips here and there in between. Short for expatriate and technically speaking, I guess I fit one if not two of the noun definitions:

-One who has taken up residence in a foreign country.
-One who has renounced one's native land.

Although my father took up residence from his native land of England long ago moving to California in the late 1950's, he has never renounced his own motherland and still maintains his British citizenship. Now I’m thinking about switching sides. Because of his birthright claim to the Isles of Great Britain I also am entitled to British citizenship. Those are the cards I was dealt and I might as well play ‘em. Plus it’d save me on visa fees entering and exiting Paraguay, freely as I please. (British citizens do not have to pay the $50USD one-time entry fee like Americans do).

But back to Buenos Aires and the point of this post. There’s this expat email list that I first subscribed to fresh off the plane. Now I never even read them but then just the other day Ethan forwarded me an excerpt from one of their recent emails and I felt moved to post it here.

“Expats are vulnerable to a number of changes in
their mental and physical health when adjusting to
life in a new country. Psychological problems that
can arise or resurface include depression, anxiety,
issues regarding existing relationships (or lack
there of), anger and frustration, addictive
behvaiour, body image and eating issues, as well as
loss of identity and direction in life.

Psychotherapy provides a space for you to resolve
and manage these issues; enabling you to live
your life in a full and meaningful way.”

That’s funny... and I thought it was just me. The only thing the blurb from this local gringo-targeting-psychotherapist forgot to mention was the part about not sleeping.

9 comments:

tommyspace said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tommyspace said...

well, well, well you Expat...could you please remember me who was the person who needed a doctor?

lol

JM said...

Isn't it nice when you find out everyone else is fighting the same demons as you?

Keep on keeping on...

miss tango said...

I have all of those symptoms living in my native land. They disappear when I travel

Unknown said...

To Miss Tango I only emphasize the "Psychological problems that
can arise or resurface" part.

To I'm Not-Ishmael I remind you that you don't live in another country and trust me, not 'everyone' is fighting our demons. Most people think they are 'fine', which is another word I loathe along with 'nice'. But yes, we all have our own devils & demons to deal with.

And to Tommyspace, just one thing. Yes I remember (to you) that you need to see a doctor. The first step to recovery is to ADMIT first to yourself that you actually HAVE a problem in the first place!

The Social Worker said...

Green tea, lots of garlic, B-50 and Omega 3's

tommyspace said...

To ADMIT what?
That a person who's actually saying that his life needs 'Psychotherapy'?

By the way I didn't know that you're also a doctor to prescript therapy to other people, but that's pretty cool...

I think my problem is your repetitive sense of humor

Finally I need to accept that i need an Anger Management therapy against some californian humor

JM said...

Um yes I am aware that I do not live in a foreign country. I think you're being literal when you're talking about fighting demons, and I'm not....My comment was very general, as in isn't it nice when you find out you're not alone in going through a certain experience. Humans tend to share the same feelings when going through a traumatic event, yet we always tend to assume we are alone and no one else feels as we do.

Anonymous said...

As true as what you've posted is, the advantage is that you can completely recreate yourself as you truly feel you are.

Tips on how to cope (from subjective experience).

1.Hot baths and teapots of manzanilla

2. Keep a luggage tag with your name and native land address (if u have one) somewhere in your new home so if all else fails you can read your name and remind yourself of who you were.

3.Say 'Buenas' to anyone you feel has 'buena honda', nod recognition to the mafioso and smile to those you know. If confusion abounds (as it will at times!) plug in ipod to ears, put on shades, grit teeth and snarl.

4. Do your own housecleaning, it clears the mind and reminds you of where you have chosen to be.

5. Go with the flow, life is for living and if your home town is anything like mine (London) one just survives there. Be happy, be free and smile, you are loved.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx