Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Jungle... Finally

I'm finishing my very first beer up here in the jungle, the north Caribbean coast of Costa Rica, a place called Tortugeruo where everyone comes to see the big sea turtles lay their eggs, up close on the border with Nicaragua where hurricane Felix is just about to pounce. It's an amazing three hour boat ride up through these narrow and winding canals that weave their way through the dense lush jungle. Saw a couple of big crocs on the way up but they are so hard to shoot as they hit the water as soon as they hear the motorboat roaring up.

So... I'm finishing my second can of the local Imperial beer at the local bar, the only one I can find with locals in it, chow down on two yummy potato and chicken empanadas with tons of hot sauce, pay the bill and turn around and SMACK, I get shot right between the eyes! I quickly look around and then down at the ground and there's this little kid all of six years of age holding a smoking toy gun wearing a shiny silver sheriff's badge. "What the HELL do you think you're doing?" I angrily ask in a raised tone of voice. "Playing," he answers as he quickly reaches for the dart laying at my feet. I promptly stomp on it, doing my best to stay calm while the stinging starts to subside and tell him if that would have hit me in the eye, I would kill him. "Entiendes?!" He just waits for me to lift my foot, pulls the dart out and runs away, screaming like a banshee.

1 comment:

tommyspace said...

THEN YOU FIND ANOTHER FRIEND...FIRST WAS BENJI AND NOW the name IS...POLLY or MARINA? ( Im not a bad person lol Im just being funny) lol again and again.
IM SURE THAT PARROT TALKS A LOT AND IF ITS NOT IM SURE YOU CAN TRAINING!!

AMAZING PICTURES. GOOD COLOR, PROUD OF YOU!!