Thursday, October 12, 2006

El Dia de Boludo!

Boludo doesn't really translate and can mean many, many things here and is heard constantly, mostly as a form of slang amongst the younger crowd. Like 'Che', or amigo, or dude, or bro, but perhaps a little more slangish and perhaps slightly crass. I think I've mentioned this before, but literally it comes from the balls - swollen balls - some kind of infection to the male ball sack that makes it swell - bloated balls. Figuratively, its just one of those common slang terms, like buey or cajones in Mexico, always refering to the male genetalia - part of the whole machismo thing I think. Even women, or younger women I should say, use it, commonly, in the streets, referring to each other as boluda. Just an overused but integral part of BA spanish - symbolizing a part of the local culture that is hard to pinpoint, or describe, but is always there.

Ethan stops over at the new place for a mellow bite to eat and a chat, after a few heavy days of writing, finally. Then he springs on me that yesterdays writing was "the best in his life, so far," and then, the fact that it was his 35th birthday. A day late and a few pesos short. So... a few phone calls were made, a few visitors stop over and a battle of home-style poker ensues - its his day, what to do - celebrate this painful but necessary rite of passage. Tommy couldn't be bothered, Luis is in for the long haul and then comes Natalia, in all her raging glory and neighborly goodness.

The night grows on and the game continues, springing out of nowhere, but gaining momentum each round, chips flying back and forth like snowflakes in a soft, quiet storm. A week night, a work night... but somehow, we transcend all that and put Ethan at ease in his 35th year. Feliz CumpliaƱos CHE BOLUDO! And keep on that writing, your saving grace, current calling and something you're fucking good at.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First off, thanks for the great time, Locos. You sure know how to throw an impromptu party obvio! and you sure know how to make a guy feel swell. Jeez,
I think I'm gonna cry.

Second off, for those Goyo blog readers who aren't familiar with the Pura Vida concept of BA, letme tell you that they really, really take birthdays seriously down here. I mean, I'm one of those asses who hates birthdays and doesn't ever remember anyone else's, and so I figured it was best if I kept
my trap shut down here about mine. However, after a bottle of wine and a few hours of good conversation with Goyo on the 11th, I let it slip (confused desire for attention?) that it had been my birthday on the 10th. I asked him to keep it hush, hush, but if you know Goyo, you know that's like asking President Bush not to go to war. Just ain't gonna happen.

So anyway, concerning the BA BA (Birthday Attitude) I really couldn't believe Luis's reaction when Goyo told him the news. Our good buddy was truly shocked, offended, and upset. I mean, like I had never seen him so put out,
and he was clearly pissed at me. "Tu cumplianos? Boloudo! Porque no me dijiste?! Boloudo!"

But then, in keeping with the BA BA, Luis shifted gears, cancelled an
important meeting, and decided that partying all night with me and Goyo was more important than driving his cab, saying, "Es tu dia, Boloudo!" (If you understood the economics of a BA taxista, you would understand that skipping a night of work is no small deal.)

Finally, I really want to thank Goyo for keeping my personal life so damn
private. When I started banging Nathalie, I had three other girlfriends,none of whom knew about the others. Little did I know they were all keeping tabs on me by reading Goyo's blog. Shit! Once they found out about Nathalie, two of them dumped me and the third killed herself. If hookers weren't so
cheap in this city my sex life would really be hurting. Luckily I have found two additional girlfriends in addition to Nathalie, so I'm back up to three, and I'm sure to find a replacement for the suicidal one in no time. But I'm concerned. You see, I've promised Nathalie that I would't have sex with any
one else (I'm a huge liar too) and now I'm terrified that GR is going to publish something about my other girlfriends on his blog. Shit!

Thanks for the party, Boloudos!