Friday, March 14, 2008

Lee Friedlander @ the SF MOMA






OK - besides Henri Cartier-Bresson and Robert Frank, the two modern fathers of 'street photography', Lee Freidlander is my third and most significant influence. For those of you in the SF Bay area, do check out his whopping 400+ print show at the MOMA. Gary and I made our way down there yesterday evening to pay our respects and charge our photo batteries so to speak. Makes me realize why I am so driven and inspired to continually shoot. Special thanks to Alan Nomura, my photo mentor, for introducing me to Friedlander and for being such a great friend, teacher and confidant. You the man!
NOTE: The bottom middle nude is an early shot of the material girl herself circa 1979. I knew she was in this series from one of his books but couldn't remember which one. Gary recognized her first, "you can tell by the arm pits."

No comments: