Sunday, November 04, 2007

Tales from the Burbs

Lafayette, CA - An affluent suburban community like many others throughout the United States.
It's really home away from home but where is home really - where I was born, different places where I grew up, the city where I've lived the most or the place that calls out louder than all others? Or, the place where I'm staying right now thanks to my new roommates Deborah and Shea and calling home? It's good to be back in the San Francisco Bay Area with my extended community of friends, which more than any other place, now feels like home.

- Where did all of my free time go? Working full-time for someone else - Mon-Fri for more than 8 hours a day - is something I'm not accustomed to and now that the newness has worn off the harsh reality is slowly sinking in.
- It's amazing at how quickly South America suddenly seems so far away again.
- I missed summer, leaving Argentina at the end of a cold winter and then travelling for a month in torrential rains in Costa Rica and now returning to a beautiful and mild California fall, transitioning slowly back into winter.
- Ever notice that there is no term in English for people from the United States or US citizens? Like if you're from England you're English or if you're from Argentina you're Argentine. We just say "I'm American," which simply means I'm from the American continent or I'm North American, from the north part of the American continent. In Spanish, we call ourselves 'Estado Unidense' which literally means a US Citizen. But when out of the country and asked where I'm from, I just say California, never the United States. It's good to be Californian.
- People watch a lot of TV, everywhere in the world. But most of that TV comes from California
- I saw an unruly BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) passenger attack two other passengers. Just as the moment of truth had arrived and I was getting up to enact all of my Mixed Martial Arts training the attacker fell back into his alcohol induced stupor and I called the incident into the train operator. After assisting the local police in ID'ing the suspect and making the arrest I walked home in the dark crisp cool air reflecting on the potentially serious incident.

2 comments:

Fairyfly said...

Hi babe,
yeah BA feels like a century ago. I too am trying to take solace from the 'all the leaves are brown', yep our sky is most definitely grey, in fact no place can do grey like England, however it's more of a Buenos Aires dreaming than CA. It sounds like you're back to "real life" too, (not FYI that I consider this dreary humdrum trudgery of mundane repetitiveness real life but there we go). After my spurt of pure genius I hit a hard anticlimax and am slowly gearing myself up to another 3 essays this month before I become my usual care-free fairy self on the shores of a Bali beach (ETA 15 Dec!!!) (you americans are great, the one thing I've picked up are these handy if rather geeky sounding abbreviations!!). Sorry to ramble on your blog but I figure it's the best way to download on you! :) Oh how I miss our sessions!!! No longer am I dramatically threatening to jump from our beautiful ornate wrought iron gated balcony onto the protruding palm tree!! (yes! I am frustrated!!) Stuck as I am in a shoe box sized loft, advantage being that Benji doesn't bark anymore. I miss you honey, Benji misses you too, once I get my arse into gear to buy some batteries for my camera I will send you some shots. Let me know how you're doing, or just make me read your blog (which is great by the way, not that I have others to compare it to mind you!) Oh and if you get a chance pllllleeeeeaaaaassssse send me a massive file of all the photos of me, since I am compltely self obsessed and am convinced that in the zillions you took there must be at least one nice one of me which I can pass on to my future gradkids. Love you loads babe, think of you often and send happy vibes your way, nat xxxxx

Unknown said...

Actually, the adage 'home is where the heart is' take the cake on this ended discussion.

I'm also headed out of the country again for a working vacay for RG to Puerto Rico. Just confirmed my dates: Dec. 18 - Jan. 12!! Get to see Rafi too!!

I will get around to sending photos to all of the millions I've promised, probably when I'm older and grayer than I am now ;-) really will once I have a few free moments to myself, which I have virtually none now.

xo,
goyo