Monday, July 02, 2007

The Benj

“He’s a Caniche, they’re very smart dogs,” says my neighbor Nat before fleeing from her two and a half year old fluffy buddy Benji for a big month-long thirtieth birthday retreat back to her motherland of London, England. A week into Benj’s rehab, after getting him onto Cesar Milan’s program – exercise, discipline and then affection, always in that order - I discover that ‘Caniche’ is really just Poodle in Spanish.

So here I am, walking this little self-minded poodle, enlisting my entire war chest of dog whispering skills, training and practices. Even as I type, every hint of sound out in our courtyard triggers a nasty low-level growl and then several staccato ear-piercing barks. NO! But his apparent deafness is diminishing and peace is quickly restored, on to better days ahead.

He’s almost house trained, walks well alongside me on the lead and is beginning to ‘hear me’ in the plaza or park when he’s not busy smelling every leaf, tree, park bench, trash can and each and every patch of grass in between. He’s even learning to play poker.

Speaking of poker, there is a rumor that Steven Seagal will grace the South American Explorers Club, BA chapter, this Wednesday night for their weekly Texas Hold ‘Em game… might have to make this one, Ninja-like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's A year and a half!!!!!

Again I am in your debt for being dog trainer extraodinaire, and the best daddy no.2 there's ever been. (In fact I think really you should be promoted to daddy no.1 by now, I have recently discovered that real daddy no.1 deserted another dog apart from Benji!).

I'm sitting in a cafe freezing my arse off, avoiding going home to my endless reams of paperwork and crap covering my floor!

I miss you tonnes, the photo is fabulous (at least a 4*). Give my baby a kiss from me, and one to you too, all my love nat xxxx

Unknown said...

Man, did he get lucky today! Basically grounded for obnoxious barking and vigilant attacking of the neighbors, Auntie Billy begged for his attendance to a veggie burger din din partay at her penthouse pad and I begrudgingly acquiesced.

The luck of the Benjster... sheesh!