Friday, March 31, 2006

Save Bar Britanico or Immanent Death?

Perhaps the coolest bar in Buenos Aires for more unusual reasons than not, this 'not friendly enough for tourists' historic establishment has lost its lease and might be over as of tomorrow.

From the grey cat that sleeps on the divider between the front and back portions to the four classic waiters in their white coats and with their stories, three of them over 70 years of age. From Manolo taking belches from a small clear bottle from behind the counter to Toni, the 'sub editor' of the Buenos Aires Herald, passed out at whatever table he ended up at, Bar Britanico will be sadly missed.

Someone named Claire wrote this great piece with links to the article in the Herald by Toni.

Good night, and good luck, and we hope that somehow, some way Bar Britanico, my favorite bar in all of Buenos Aires, will stay alive.

5 comments:

Almirante Margarito said...

It's my favourite one, too.

miss tango said...

Hola GoyoWorld,
I found your link to my site, about Claire's brillant plea to save Bar Britanico. My BA friends tell me it closed today. The barrio won't be the same...wait I feel a tango song coming on....Quiero Bar Britanico mi corazon es negro like your cortados.....

miss tango said...

Dirty Dishwater white might give a better visual for the waiters "coats"

Anonymous said...

So what's going to happen to this bar?

Unknown said...

To Ms. Tango in her eyes,

I just returned to BA after 2 lovely weeks back in California. I'll let you know ASAP.

Goyo