Monday, January 16, 2006

So much to say...

... but so little time. A lot has happened in these past two weeks... and I have no idea where to start. There's a French guy sitting to my right, talking at his computer, waving a webcam around. Not sure what to make of all this but I was just introduced as 'a very famous photographer'. Little does he know.

Random notes and thoughts...

- Came back to BA to the pad in San Telmo, and the pigeons that hatched a couple of weeks ago on our balcony were not only dead but drowned in the pouring rain which has been non-stop for the past week and a half, and were actively being devoured by a force of glowing white magots like you wouldn't believe - fucking GROSS!

- Dave and Mei left me this evening, heading back to the good 'ole US of A, land of milk and honey... and MONEY! I'm glad they made it down but I think they were glad to go. [update - their flight last night was cancelled and they are at the airport... waiting.] Dave has his projects and work and Mei was on a limited budget, not unlike myself. We did well today, with some serious Consumer Retail Therapy here in San Telmo and a good-bye lunch that would make a vegitarian cry, plates dripping with blood redder than the surreal sunsets of Northern Argentina.

- But what I really want to say is that I've lost my portable hard-drive, the Wolverine... with the past two months worth of photos on it. And if I can't track it down, they are gone, for good... for ever. It's not the end of the world but it's a bummer, for sure, and a very strange concept to have two months of work just dissappear like that. I suppose its like having a hard drive crash but I've so careful this entire time and now, back to square one.

-But on top of all of this, the thing I really wanted to blog about was the circus, in San Juan, complete with 6 african lions and 4 bengal tigers, the largest weighing more than 550 lbs. (very, VERY large). I didn't know they still had these kind of circus acts... and then of course the trapeze, tight rope, circus fly-girls, clowns and midgets. But the real kicker, the thing I want to tell you more than anything else about the circus was its hours of operation. We walked back to our hotel... exhausted and dehydrated and 'silly' beyond belief at 4AM! What modern day circus, mostly filled with kids under the age of 7, ends at 3:45AM?! This is Argentina - please come and visit before I spend all of my gringo dollars and have to come home on April 4, or before I die attempting to climb Mercedario in March - 6,800 mts. hasta FULL!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there. mei here. managed to get back to the land of mickey d's and double nonfat no foams - after 3 days of standby attempts and 36 hours on a plane, train, taxi and car.

greg, thanks for the incredible hospitality, language translating, city walking, circus = confusing, 16 hour bus riding, paragliding, rocket launching, parilla mystery meat eating, valley of the mooning, shoe shopping, coke and ferneting, wine drinking and late night talking fun.

you're doing it down there and doing it in prototype style.

Anonymous said...

hi there. mei here. managed to get back to the land of mickey d's and double nonfat no foams - after 3 days of standby attempts and 36 hours on a plane, train, taxi and car.

greg, thanks for the incredible hospitality, language translating, city walking, circus = confusing, 16 hour bus riding, paragliding, rocket launching, parilla mystery meat eating, valley of the mooning, shoe shopping, coke and ferneting, wine drinking and late night talking fun.

you're doing it down there and doing it in prototype style.